Monday 25 May 2015

Anzac Day 2015

Hi There,
Delayed news that happened a month ago.  It has taken me this long to sit down and start writing about my poppy adventure.
As you know (if you visit here regularly) I have been on a poppy crusade for the past two years and come Anzac Day this year I saw it all come together and it was AMAZING!


Like all ideas they start small, as a flicker.  Then you ponder, talk to others and then the idea grows and evolves.  Then more people join the conversation, add their thoughts and then it explodes into something truly special and great.

This is what happened with the 5000 Poppies NZ idea.  I found the idea from two ladies in Australia and started it here in NZ.  It was a very small idea, one which I thought would never grow.  I thought I would be on my own trying to make this work.  I thought if I was lucky I would get to 5,000 poppies and have a little display for Anzac Day.

What I got in the end was 32,000 poppies, 27 panels, many many dedications and met some wonderful people.  I made a new friend too, which was a lovely blessing.

This whole experience has been very humbling.  I underestimated just how much this project would mean to so many people and how many stories we all had to share. Even though some days were tough with organising, counting and collating poppies I am glad I took the time to co-ordinate it and make the project come alive.  So very worth it when you see oodles of people taking photos and touching it and exclaiming just how special it is.  

AIRFORCE MUSEUM - CHRISTCHURCH









NAVY MUSEUM - AUCKLAND







All those young men who fought and lost their lives will be remembered forever in this wonderful tribute that I have been a part of.


We will never forget.

Lxx

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful achievement, Lisa! So many congratulations to you and everyone else who has been involved in this project; it will have brought even more poignancy to a special year xx

    ReplyDelete